Okay, so we’re not talking about the kind of acid you’d pop if you took a “trip” back in time to Woodstock where Jim Morrison serenades you with ‘Riders in the Storm’ as you caterwaul to the moon in your birthday suit. Nevertheless, the kind of acid you find in your body could give you a much longer and more harmful trip than you would have with your Woodstock friends (think about this for a second, what acid could be worse than Acid?!)
What we’re talking about here is the connection between your body’s:
- pHat scale;
- diet; and
The pHat Scale
In order for your body to function optimally, it needs to maintain a pH of approximately 7.4 on the scale, which tends towards slight alkalinity.
Environmental and dietary stressors cause the pH of our bodies to drop and become more acidic.
How Can too much of a Good Thing be Bad, Yo?
Acid and Inflammation
Your body requires approximately 20% of your diet to be derived from acidic foods (that can be properly digested). However, when cells are bathed in too much (indigestible) acid for too long, they get robbed of the oxygen and energy that they need to keep your immune system and body strong.
As your cells are exposed to long-term and intensive starvation of oxygen, they lose their ability to effectively repair, regenerate and replenish your body’s nerves, bones, muscles and ligaments; think of how you start to feel when you hold your breath for too long. The cellular deprivation of oxygen makes your body susceptible to infection and bacteria which causes inflammation. Inflammation weakens your immune system which, in turn, results in more inflammation.
People who maintain a highly acidic diet and lifestyle end up suffering from chronic and long-term health problems such as allergies, arthritis, chronic fatigue, shit-skin, shit-shit (read: constipation and digestive issues), cancer (because cancer cells fuckin’ love oxygen-poor environments), heart disease, stroke, memory loss, nutrient deficiencies, yeast and fungal infections, chronic disease and viruses – to name a few – because they are placing their bodies under so much acidic strain that there’s nothing left to give.
Mining Your Minerals
Your body needs minerals to function properly, and since your body can’t synthesize these minerals by itself, you have to obtain them by chowing food. Your body uses minerals to make proteins, enzymes, hormones and neurotransmitters, among others.
When there is too much acid in your body (because of a shitty diet and lifestyle), your body will attempt to counteract and neutralise the acidic pH by mining alkaline minerals such as potassium, magnesium and calcium from your bones, teeth and organs (isn’t it the supreme irony that you drink dairy to give you calcium while, in reality, dairy leeches your bones of calcium?! There’s some sneaky industrial propaganda out there, yo!)
This extraction process serves to bring your pH levels back to normal at around 7.4 on the pHat scale. The problem, however, is that this kind of mining is more “blood-diamond shit” than legit, because the long-term pillaging of your mineral reserves to neutralise the acid in your body and normalise your pH:
- robs calcium from your bones and teeth, leading to debilitating conditions such as herniated discs, back problems, osteoporosis, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and cancer;
- robs your body of magnesium, which is essential for ultimate muscle function and support;
- prevents minerals from properly synthesizing proteins, enzymes, hormones and neurotransmitters, cause they’re playing Amy-the-Antacid instead…what a shitty role, yo!
Your diet and lifestyle choices can put your body through a shitty cycle of abuse that it nonetheless works tirelessly to fix. Think of Sisyphus and his boulder; he’ll push that thing up the mountain every damn day, because that’s his job, but don’t fool yourself into thinking that the shit-bucket of intensive labour won’t eventually take its toll. Wouldn’t you rather make is easier for your body by carving that mountain down to a hill?
What’s so awesome is that by controlling certain aspects of the way you live and eat, you can control how hard or gently your body has to work to keep you functioning at level-awesome…so make the decision to be your body’s best buddie, yo!
Read more about the pHat scale here:
- For a detailed list of acid and alkaline forming foods check out Energise for Life’s Food Chart
- The Ultimate pH Solution: Balance Your Body Chemistry to Prevent Disease and Lose Weight by Michelle Schoffro Cook
- The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health: Restore Your Health by Creating pH Balance in Your Diet by Christopher Vasey and Jon Graham
- The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health by Robert O. Young
- Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr
- Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr
- Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor by Kris Carr
- Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr