In order for your body to function at its kickass-best, the pH of your blood should fall in a very narrow range of about 7.35 to 7.45.
What you put into your body (internal stressors) and what you put your body through (external stressors), affect how acidic or alkaline your tissues and fluids (including blood) are, and can end up throwing out this fine-tuned balance in a big way. You know how acid rain falls on soil and messes up the composition so that nothing can grow there and it ends up looking like some barren post-apocalyptic wasteland from one of Cormac McCarthy’s novels? Well, the same pretty much applies to your body on a micro-scale.
Increased Acidity in your Body
A diet and lifestyle based primarily on:
- the consumption of egg, meat and dairy products, processed carbohydrates (think anything white and colourless), alcohol and drugs (yup, it’s a no-brainer that Acid creates acid and pharmaceutical drugs do too), caffeine, and refined sugars (think sweets, chocolates, energy and soda drinks); and
- smoking, the internalisation of stress, anger and unhappiness, chronic lack of sleep, little or no exercise
sets the stage for your tissues and cells to drown in a big, painful tsunami of acid…and yes, they do eventually suffocate, because they’re being chronically starved of oxygen.
Increased Alkalinity in your Body
Since our body functions optimally in a slightly alkaline environment, our tissues and cells become more alkaline (and oxygenated) when we:
- consume a more alkalinised diet based on whole and plant foods (think fruits and veggies with as much green as possible, as well as nuts and seeds. For a detailed list of acid and alkaline forming foods check out Energise for Life’s Food Chart); and
- get our life together by breathing in the good shit and breathing out the bull shit.
Tips for Reclaiming and Regulating your pHat-ness
In order for you to enjoy pHokken good health, your diet should consist of about 20% acidic foods (that are easily digestible) and 80% alkaline foods.
- Drink organic green juices and smoothies at least once a day: pack that juicer or blender full of the good-shit like kale, spinach, endives, collards, herbs, micro-herbs and sprouts, wheatgrass, seaweed and broccoli (basically whatever you can find that is green will be filled with chlorophyll, which provides a blast of oxygen to your cells and they’ll be like “holy fuckballs, this is some good stuff, give me more!”)
- Make sure your diet is mainly wholefood and plant-based: cut out (or cut-down on the amount of) acidifying crap you eat, like eggs, meat and dairy, processed carbs, refined sugars, drugs and artificial stimulants/chemicals.
- When eating acidic foods, make sure they’re the right kind of acidic foods: eat the good kind of acid caused by stuff like corn, lentils, olives, blueberries, cranberries, amaranth, oatmeal, rye, chick peas, soy milk, cashews and pecans.
- Breathe in the good shit and breathe out the bullshit: exercise, meditate, sleep enough and better, get outside and into nature, take enough leave and get away, hang around with positive and like-minded people, focus on the things that matter and say adios to that merde (read: circumstances or people) that’s holding you back and not propelling you forward in the best way possible.
Read more about the pHat scale here:
- For a detailed list of acid and alkaline forming foods, see Energise For Life’s Acid and Alkaline Food Chart
- Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr
- Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kriss Carr
- The Ultimate pH Solution: Balance Your Body Chemistry to Prevent Disease and Lose Weight by Michelle Schoffro Cook
- The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health: Restore Your Health by Creating pH Balance in Your Diet by Christopher Vasey and Jon Graham
- The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health by Robert O. Young